Embark on a self-drive journey through the stunning landscapes and some of the best-preserved parks in Northern Portugal: Douro International Natural Park and Peneda-Gerês National Park. Paddle a canoe between the region's cliffs, hike along its rural paths, and become an expert in birding as you observe the species that nest and migrate through the Arribas. Authenticity abounds in this corner of Portugal, as you'll see in the unspoiled scenery you'll uncover, hear in the stories of the people you'll meet and learn through the historical sites you'll visit.See more
This itinerary has been crafted by our Local Agency with one idea in mind: to inspire you. Every element can be adapted to your needs and your interests, from duration to accommodation and activities.
•Arrive at Porto Airport (OPO), pick up your rental car, make your way to your hotel.
• After checking-in, enjoy free time before dinner with a walk through downtown Porto.
• Savor a delicious welcome dinner in a traditional restaurant.
• After an early breakfast, self-drive to Peneda-Gerês National Park.
• Begin your journey with a 6-hour hike through the mountains and the brilliant colors of the National Park.
• As you move further along your route, cross paths with shepherds, who will share with you stories of the region.
• Pause en route for a picnic lunch with local products and soak up your surroundings as you make your way to the top of the peaks.
• This morning after breakfast, take your pick of activity: canoedown the river or explore the trails by bike.
• As the afternoon approaches, visit Ponte de Lima to meander its tiny alleys and see its famous bridge before heading to your next region.
• If you’d prefer to relax, you can opt for a swim in one of the park’s natural lagoons.
• After, you’ll drive to Guimarães, the proud birthplace of Portugal, whose picture-perfect Medieval center is sure to delight.
• Begin your day with a hearty breakfast before exploring Guimarães.
• Going at your desired pace, self-drive towards the heart of Trás-os-Montes, the beautiful northeastern tip of Portugal.
• Upon arrival in the afternoon, your local guide will welcome you and take you through the historical center of Miranda do Douro.
• Enjoy dinner in a local restaurant before heading to your overnight accommodation.
• Gain a new perspective of the region as you embark on a cruise along the quiet, dark green waters of Douro River that weave through the cliffs.
• In the company of an expert guide, do some birdwatching in one of the world’s most renowned birding regions.
• Afterwards, top it all off with a tasting of the local wine and enjoy a lunch at a traditional restaurant.
• This afternoon is yours to spend at leisure.
• Breakfast this morning comes with a decision: how do you wish to spend your day? On the ground or the water?
• Your first option is to head towards Douro River for a full day of canoeing between cliffs, following the winding course of the river.
• Hikers can explore the park on foot during a full-day trek, passing through tiny hamlets and past ancient churches, with incredible viewpoints over the river.
• Whichever you opt for, re-energize mid-way with a picnic lunch (only available between July and October).
• Afterwards enjoy a special dinner in a nearby village, cooked and shared with the community members, and accompanied by local wine.
• After breakfast, hop in your car and head back to Porto for your onward journeys.
• Safe travels!
The price reflects this specific itinerary and is designed to give you an idea of the budget required for this destination. Throughout the trip-planning process, our local agency will tailor your itinerary around your budget.